Our Town's History
The oldest city in Polk County, Fort Meade, was established in 1849 along with a new military road from Tampa to Fort Pierce following the Second Seminole War. The town and road were originally sited by Army Lieutenant George Meade of the Corps of Topographical Engineers, whose commander named the town for him.
The 1880s business district was located on what is now Broadway, which was a casualty of four devastating fires. Today, there are over 150 historical landmarks.